Category Archives: 2020
I really like using Zoom for meetings, but a month ago I saw what can happen when security measures are not taken. I was Zoomed.
A month ago, I had a day that would unexpectedly burn disturbing images in both my brain and my wife’s brain. I was attending someone else’s Zoom social get together. It is difficult to forget. It was a shock.
What began as a charming get together of sharing and caring amongst people with Parkinson’s disease and their caregivers/carepartners, did not end well. It turned into an invasion of indecency and pure smut. A hacker’s prank or an experiment in disruption, spoiled the event for all who were involved. This was a gross abuse of technology.
When used properly and measures are taken, Zoom calls can be very helpful, enjoyable, and productive events. Follow these suggestions and keep your software up-to-date to keep out uninvited participants.
If you or your group use Zoom for a meeting, a get together, or lectures, make sure that you take caution and follow some of these precautionary steps to protect from being interrupted by unwanted attendees, to your event.
Zoom Hints For Attendees/Participants:
- Use the “art of the pause” when participating so others can respond to your comments.
- Be patient for speakers who may speak more slowly.
- Make sure you upgrade your Zoom application to the latest version to get important updates.
Zoom Hints For Hosts:
- Always password protect your meetings.
- In your meeting setup, turn off screen sharing for participants as a security measure.
- Use the waiting room so you can screen who is admitted.
- Have attendee’s audio and video muted as they enter the room, so it is not distracting. Muted audio can help a lot for those late arrivals who might interrupt a meeting in progress.
- Always greet your attendees as they enter and say goodbye when they leave.
- Make sure you have the latest updated version of the Zoom application.
Informative Zoom Videos to Watch:
- Davis Phinney Foundation – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtGbgGoLOXA
- BBC – The Zoom Social Etiquette guide: https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20200428-the-zoom-social-etiquette-guide
- Zoom Advanced Features Tutorial for Hosts – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HziooZpxWec&t=1s
Share these resources with anyone you know who is a Zoom user or moderator. One of these sources may help keep you and your attendees stay safe.